black-mold-toxic-mold

mold-resting-new-jerseySpring rains are a welcome refresher for our parched plants and lawns, but they also bring heat and humidity, the perfect environment for mold. If you had a leak or flood and your remediation company did not fully remove the mold, chances are the mold is still present and probably growing with a vengeance.

You may see signs of black mold on your walls, near sinks and toilets, along floorboards and on ceilings. Black mold may look frightening – and it is pretty unsightly – but it’s not necessarily toxic. It is, however, an allergen and health hazard.

How do you know if mold is toxic?

The only way to find out if mold is toxic is to have it tested. There are over 100,000 different types of mold that come in a variety of colors. Most cause upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people. Those with immune suppression or underlying lung disease are more susceptible to fungal indoor-mold-testinfections caused by mold. However, if you have been exposed to toxic mold, which isn’t always black, you could begin to suffer from chronic bronchitis and develop heart problems. In children, learning disabilities, mental deficiencies, heart problems, and multiple sclerosis can result.

While toxic mold can bring on the most serious health problems, all mold can cause health issues in healthy people – especially those who suffer allergies. But the only way to be sure is to have a mold test conducted by an environmental inspector. The test will determine what type of mold is growing in your home. This can be very useful because the information will determine the proper course of action to remove it.

If you suspect that mold has made its way in, schedule a test with an independent certified microbial investigator. They can provide you with an unbiased assessment of the situation, and give you a plan to move forward and send the mold on its way.