Mold Allergy? Don’t Eat That!
If you have a mold allergy, removing mold from your walls might not be enough. You also have to take it off your plate (literally) as you may be ingesting the mold directly. Many common foods contain some amount of mold, which can exacerbate a mold allergy.
Try to avoid these big offenders:
Most dairy products, like cheese, sour cream and buttermilk, contain mold because they’ve undergone fermentation. Baked goods may also contain dairy products that underwent fermentation. Check labels before you eat.
Mushrooms, a fungus, contain mold. Whether cooked or raw, in a soup or on a salad, they can trigger sneezing, wheezing and other uncomfortable symptoms.
Meat and Fish
Any type of meat or fish that has been smoked, pickled or cured has a good chance of containing mold. Meat and fish that is more than 24-hours-old may also have mold growth on it, including lunch meat, hot dogs, sausage, and pre-packaged meat.
Alcohol & Fermented Foods
Beer, wine and many types of liquor that have been fermented or contain yeast may aggravate a mold allergy. Sour breads, such as pumpernickel and sourdough, can also be irritants.
Condiments & Dressings
Foods containing vinegar, such as salad dressing, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, commercial salsa, and pickles often contain mold. Also watch out for soy sauce, sauerkraut, olives, miso, and tofu.
Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs and raisins are known to contain mold. Melons can also cause a mold-induced reaction, especially when they are overripe.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, you can reduce your risk of a reaction by choosing your foods carefully. They suggest checking all foods for signs of mold before eating it, and avoiding foods that are more likely to contain fungi or mold.
If you have a mold allergy, be aware that these foods could make it worse. If you change your diet and are still plagued by a mold allergy, consider that your home or office may not be as mold-free as you thought. Mold can grow under carpets and inside walls. The only way to be sure is to have a certified microbial investigator test your surroundings. Contact RTK at 800.392.6468 or click here to learn more.