&noscript=1 />

About Black Mold

You may see signs of black mold on your walls, near sinks and toilets, along floorboards and on ceilings. Black mold may look frightening – and it is pretty unsightly – but it’s not necessarily toxic. However, any visible mold is a health risk and is unacceptable in your home.

How do you know if black mold is toxic?

Through testing. There are over 100,000 different types of mold. Most cause upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people. Those with immune suppression or underlying lung disease are more susceptible to fungal infections caused by mold. However, if you have been exposed to toxic mold, you could begin to suffer from chronic bronchitis and develop heart problems. In children, learning disabilities, mental deficiencies, heart problems, and multiple sclerosis can result.

black mold asthmaWhile toxic mold can bring on the most serious health problems, all mold can cause health issues in healthy people – especially those who suffer allergies. But the only way to be sure is to have a mold test conducted by an environmental inspector like RTK Environmental Group. The test will determine what type of mold is growing in your home. This can be very useful because the information will determine the proper course of action to remove it.

If you suspect that mold has made its way in, schedule a test with an independent certified microbial investigator at RTK. We can provide you with an unbiased assessment of the situation, and give you a plan to move forward and send the mold on its way.

Call us at 800.392.6468.

Water should be tested once each year for total coliform bacteria. (CDC)

How RTK Environmental Group keeps you safe while we’re in your home or workplace.

Send us a message using the form below