&noscript=1 />

Mold Growth & Exposure in Rockland County, New York

Of the 100,000 occupied housing units in Rockland County, New York, almost two-thirds are owner-occupied. For many of these homeowners, property maintenance takes a great deal of effort. Of all the maintenance tasks facing them, mold remediation may not be on the top of the list. Part of the reason is that mold often grows out of sight. One common source of mold growth in homes for example is faulty, degraded pipes that have too much condensation or have developed a minor—potentially undetectable—leak. Over time, this water can transfer to building components, where mold can grow rapidly. Because the damage often is hard to detect, homeowners can be exposed to mold before they can identify the source of the contamination on their own. This is one reason why it is important to call in a professional at the first sign of the presence of mold.

Several environmental facts also contribute to mold growth in homes. Heavy rains can cause flooding, which may lead to water damage within homes. Over the course of an average year Rockland County sees 48 inches of rain, 10 inches more than the national average, with the heaviest rains falling in May, June, and July. In the summer months the risk for mold is increased due to higher relative humidity levels and optimal temperatures for growth. If you see any discoloration on the walls of a structure, or smell a musty odor that you cannot identify then it is important to have the home inspected to prevent prolonged exposure to mold.

The Threats of Mold Exposure

Exposure to mold is hazardous to the health of building occupants for a number of reasons. There are two types of mold; allergens and toxic. Symptoms of either mold exposure may range from dry and scratchy throats to runny noses, itchy eyes and more serious respiratory conditions. In people who have pre-existing respiratory conditions, mold can pose an even more serious threat. Mold can exacerbate asthma to the point where simply walking into a room with elevated mold spore levels can trigger a severe reaction, which may require the use of an emergency rescue inhaler or a trip to the emergency room.

Toxic molds are normally more dangerous. These molds can cause severe reactions in even the most healthy of people. For the aged or infirm, the threat is worse. Moreover, recent studies have identified a potential link between mold exposure and development of asthma in children and adults. Therefore, it is imperative to remove mold as soon as it is discovered in a home.

If you want to have a property in Rockland County tested for mold, contact RTK Environmental Group by phone, at 1-800-392-6468, or online through the form to the right, to set up an on-site consultation with a certified microbial investigator.

70% of homes are estimated to have mold behind walls. (Harvard EDU)

How RTK Environmental Group keeps you safe while we’re in your home or workplace.

Send us a message using the form below